There’s a lot of reason why people choose or have no choice but to move in the winter, and it’s not all that bad if you’re prepared. For instance, some renters choose to move in the winter because they can sometimes get better deals than the inflated summer prices; plus, there isn’t as much competition, so they can score the apartment they want.
If that sounds like a deal to you, then it might be time to try searching for apartments in the cold season. Moving in winter isn’t too different from the summer, but here are some great tips to keep in mind as you prepare for your move:
- Lay down plastic or sheets when moving in. Even if the ground is dry, there’s a lot of salt and anti-freeze products put down on sidewalks. This will help protect your new carpet/hardwood.
- A lot of companies have summer and winter rates; luckily, when you move in the winter, you might encounter lower rates for services such as truck rentals or movers. Either way, it doesn’t hurt to ask if they have any winter discounts. Plus, it’s easier to get a moving company lined up when their schedules are not occupied with the busy moving season—spring and summer.
- Keep an eye on the weather. Unfortunately, winter can be unpredictable. Make sure you know the mover’s policy on delays or cancellations concerning bad weather.
- Have sheets, blankets, or other protectants on hand. If it does start snowing, you can easily wipe off whatever might accidentally get wet.
- Double pack breakable items such as glass or ceramics since they become more brittle in the cold weather. If something is especially sensitive to the cold, then opt for it to travel with you instead of the unheated moving vehicle.
- Plan for the shorter days. Since there’s less daylight in the winter, it’s recommended to start the moving process earlier in the day.
- Don’t pack your winter outerwear—you’re going to need them!
Other than the cold weather, it’s really not too much different from a summer move. If you’re ready to make a change, contact Tycon Companies to see what we have available and if it fits your needs.